A tool to integrate argumentative writing and critical thinking into social studies and civics classes.
Students 4SC is an editorial articles activity, where student-written articles on current issue and events that are published on our website.
Students who participate in our activity write an editorial (op-ed) article on a current event or issue as if they were writing for the New York Times or similar editorial sections.Through the activity, students are better able to understand persuasive writing by imagining how they would defend their opinion to a wide audience.
We provide lesson plans, resources, and a platform for teachers who want to integrate our argumentative writing course material into their classrooms.
Through this exercise:
- students will learn how to find and analyze primary sources,
- develop strong thesis statements and persuasive arguments,
- and think and write about a nuanced perspective they have to defend.
Overall, this project will foster not only strong analytical skills but also critical empathetic skills necessary for becoming an effective civic leader.
Universal Use: The activity can be implemented regardless of the current topic or sub-area being studied. For example, if the current unit is on the Supreme Court, teachers can have students write about current cases on the docket, or classes studying Civil Rights can focus on current issues in Civil Rights.
View sample topics that are popular in the news and overall discourse. New prompts added regularly.
Download our sample assignment, and permission slip to help get you started!
- The Virtual Divide: Online vs. In-Person Learning in Fall 2020 madeline gaeta
- Trump’s Ban On “Anti-American” Diversity Training Neha L
- Do NOT Vote Twice Victoria Zay
- Food Security Depends On Endangered Bumblebees Nicole Wei
- Women Should be Paid Equally as Men in All Fields Mlaika Malik
- The Direct Effects Of Ocean Pollution Shrey Patel
- Death To The Death Penalty Leah Dobres
- Biden’s America Is The Safe And Secure America We Need Riley Stevenson
- The Importance Of Mental Health In Relation To Education During A Pandemic Shrey Patel
- Rethinking the Role of Television Media in the World of Information Adrian Lin