A tool to integrate argumentative writing and critical thinking into social studies and civics classes.
Students 4SC is an editorial articles activity, where student-written articles on current issue and events that are published on our website.
Students who participate in our activity write an editorial (op-ed) article on a current event or issue as if they were writing for the New York Times or similar editorial sections.Through the activity, students are better able to understand persuasive writing by imagining how they would defend their opinion to a wide audience.
We provide lesson plans, resources, and a platform for teachers who want to integrate our argumentative writing course material into their classrooms.
Through this exercise:
- students will learn how to find and analyze primary sources,
- develop strong thesis statements and persuasive arguments,
- and think and write about a nuanced perspective they have to defend.
Overall, this project will foster not only strong analytical skills but also critical empathetic skills necessary for becoming an effective civic leader.
Universal Use: The activity can be implemented regardless of the current topic or sub-area being studied. For example, if the current unit is on the Supreme Court, teachers can have students write about current cases on the docket, or classes studying Civil Rights can focus on current issues in Civil Rights.
View sample topics that are popular in the news and overall discourse. New prompts added regularly.
Download our sample assignment, and permission slip to help get you started!
- Why governments should invest in Public Transport ninaunited4sc
- The Striking Difference in the Treatment of Protesters Based on Race Samantha Nett
- Red, Green, and In Between: How Redlining Divided Neighborhoods and Schools leaders2020virtual
- Social Media’s Negative Effects on Young People Mlaika Malik
- The Military’s Approach to Sexual Assault: A Call For Change Samantha Kanner
- Are There More Pros or Cons to Online Learning? Mlaika Malik
- Why Wearing Masks is Very Important During COVID-19 Mlaika Malik
- The Government Must Pay Reparations To Eligible African Americans Ashlyn Villafranca
- The Effects Of Social Media On Teens’ Mental Health Sophia Takrouri
- Trump Chooses Amy Coney Barrett For SCOTUS Neha L