A tool to integrate argumentative writing and critical thinking into social studies and civics classes.
Students 4SC is an editorial articles activity, where student-written articles on current issue and events that are published on our website.
Students who participate in our activity write an editorial (op-ed) article on a current event or issue as if they were writing for the New York Times or similar editorial sections.Through the activity, students are better able to understand persuasive writing by imagining how they would defend their opinion to a wide audience.
We provide lesson plans, resources, and a platform for teachers who want to integrate our argumentative writing course material into their classrooms.
Through this exercise:
- students will learn how to find and analyze primary sources,
- develop strong thesis statements and persuasive arguments,
- and think and write about a nuanced perspective they have to defend.
Overall, this project will foster not only strong analytical skills but also critical empathetic skills necessary for becoming an effective civic leader.
Universal Use: The activity can be implemented regardless of the current topic or sub-area being studied. For example, if the current unit is on the Supreme Court, teachers can have students write about current cases on the docket, or classes studying Civil Rights can focus on current issues in Civil Rights.
View sample topics that are popular in the news and overall discourse. New prompts added regularly.
Download our sample assignment, and permission slip to help get you started!
- The ‘Great Resignation’ Is A Good Thing Amedeo Bettauer
- The Urgent Need for Youth Representation Amedeo Bettauer
- Red Light On Free Speech, Green Light on Tyranny Amedeo Bettauer
- False Balance: How Always Being Objective Makes Media Less Truthful Amedeo Bettauer
- “Pro-Life”? Give Me a Break Rohan Nambiar
- How Are Transgender People Suffering Dreadfully Due To Violence? taylor davis
- C.O.D.: Death by Assimilation, the Dark History of Reservation Schools Atia Ramkaran
- What’s Wrong With Critical Race Theory? Rohan Nambiar
- How Free Palestine Aligns with Black Lives Matter and Builds Solidarity Maisha Ahmed
- Is The Ongoing Police Violence A Result of Improper Training Or By Intent? Harrisat Suleman