A tool to integrate argumentative writing and critical thinking into social studies and civics classes.
Students 4SC is an editorial articles activity, where student-written articles on current issue and events that are published on our website.
Students who participate in our activity write an editorial (op-ed) article on a current event or issue as if they were writing for the New York Times or similar editorial sections.Through the activity, students are better able to understand persuasive writing by imagining how they would defend their opinion to a wide audience.
We provide lesson plans, resources, and a platform for teachers who want to integrate our argumentative writing course material into their classrooms.
Through this exercise:
- students will learn how to find and analyze primary sources,
- develop strong thesis statements and persuasive arguments,
- and think and write about a nuanced perspective they have to defend.
Overall, this project will foster not only strong analytical skills but also critical empathetic skills necessary for becoming an effective civic leader.
Universal Use: The activity can be implemented regardless of the current topic or sub-area being studied. For example, if the current unit is on the Supreme Court, teachers can have students write about current cases on the docket, or classes studying Civil Rights can focus on current issues in Civil Rights.
View sample topics that are popular in the news and overall discourse. New prompts added regularly.
Download our sample assignment, and permission slip to help get you started!
- Third Mass Bleaching Event For The Great Barrier Reef Since 2015 Neha L
- Police Brutality Is Not a New Issue, But It Needs New Solutions Parker Garlough
- Foreign Aid: Charity For Our Ego John Chekal
- Polluters Allowed To Break Environmental Regulations Due To COVID-19 Neha L
- The Screech of a Rape Victim Aishwarya Ganesh
- Applying Prison Abolition Principles To Address Inequities Angel Li
- Free Mental Health Care For America Nicole Goyma
- How LAPSSET Is A Danger To All Of Eastern Africa [email protected]
- Free Menstrual Products Can Combat Illiteracy rheakhandelwal
- Employers Need to Take on Childcare Penalty Now rheakhandelwal