Task Force: Immigration Awareness Program
You have successfully organized a program to raise awareness about various struggles immigrants face when moving to a new country. Your task is to create a platform to inform people about immigration and dismantle stereotypes and different forms of discrimination immigrants face.
Why Are We Doing This?
Immigration is, “The international movement of people to a destination country of which they are not natives or where they do not possess citizenship in order to settle as permanent residents or naturalized citizens.” Oftentimes, immigrants experience incredible obstacles when moving to a new country such as learning a new language and anti-immigrant sentiment. Here, we ask you to create a program that aims to redefine the anti-immigrant narrative by raising awareness about immigration.
- Before you begin, research information on immigration and struggles immigrants face.
- Then, try to design a program to fight the anti-immigrant notions and raise awareness about immigration.
- What are some reasons people choose to leave their home country and move to another? How will you inform people of these reasons to allow them to empathize with immigrants?
- What are some anti-immigrant notions in society and how do you plan to fight them?
- What will your program entail?
- What kinds of material will you incorporate (i.e. blog posts, posters, videos, etc)?
- What kinds of statistics and data will you use to convey your point?
- In one sentence, what is your program’s mission statement?
- What are 3-5 reasons it is important to raise awareness about immigration?
- Think through the possible objections about your program that someone could have and how you would answer them.
- What are some reasons people are against immigration? How will you change their perspective?
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your program best raises awareness about immigration and fights anti-immigrant narratives.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You do not have to come up with an exhaustive list of features for your program. Focus on a few that you feel most confident defending.