Task Force: Design a Green City
You have been selected to participate in a program that allows you to redesign your home city. The goal is to design your city to have the various features of a green city.
Why Are We Doing This?
Green cities are, “Cities that encourage and provide for the most sustainable lifestyles. They have an active approach towards addressing climate change and being environmentally friendly.” As concerns of climate change continue to rise, the importance of cities adapting features of a green city rise as well. Here we challenge you to try and redesign your city to try and fit all or most of the components of a green city.
- Research some aspects of green cities around the world
- What cities are considered greenest in the world? Why?
- What designs of these green cities do you want to include in your design?
- With your group, try to design a city that has features of a green city.
- How long do you think it will take to transform the city?
- What kinds of features will be present in your design?
- Who will fund the redesigning of your city?
- What problems might arise with changing up some long-held characteristics of the city?
- How do you plan to address those challenges?
- Think through the possible objections about your design that someone could have and how you would answer them.
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your redesigned city best embodies the goals and has all the necessary features of green cities.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- You do not have to come up with an exhaustive list of features for your city. Choose a few that you feel confident about explaining and defending.