Task Force: Create Your Own Healthcare System
The Department of Health and Human Services has accepted your proposal to completely reform and redesign the American healthcare system! Your goal is to adhere to the various concerns of citizens to increase access to healthcare in the United States.
Why Are We Doing This?
With approximately 32.8 Million Americans under 65 being deprived of access to health insurance, it is clear that something in the system needs a drastic change. In fact, despite having the most expensive health care system, the United States still ranks last when compared to six other industrialized countries. Here, we ask you to tackle the root of the problem and improve the quality of healthcare in the nation.
- Research information about the healthcare system in the United States. Find information about problems and concerns associated with the system and proposed solutions.
- Then, try to transform the problematic aspects of the healthcare system by addressing the pertinent concerns.
- What are some concerns about the American healthcare system?
- How does the nation’s healthcare system compare to other countries who are ranked higher in quality?
- How do you plan on addressing the changes that need to be made?
- Describe 3-4 changes you plan on implementing in the new system.
- How do you improve coverage, services, timeliness and workforce?
- Think through the possible objections that someone could have and how you would answer them.
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your reformed healthcare system best addresses the various concerns of citizens and increases accessibility to healthcare.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- You don’t have to worry about answering all possible objections, but you should have some defense of why you think your reasons are more important.
- Your plan should include things that governments could realistically implement.