Task Force: City Safety Commission
You have been hired by the city safety committee to try and reform the policing system in the United States. The goal here is to try and dismantle the racist roots of policing in the nation by brainstorming different ideas to instate a police force that ensures safety and equality.
Why Are We Doing This?
The history of policing in the United States began as early as the slave patrols used to enforce racist laws. Their responsibility was to prevent slaves from escaping and barging into houses where someone was suspected to be housing an escaped slave. Some racist origins of the policing system continue to present themselves in modern society. People of color are more likely to be killed by the police than white people even in 2020. Here we ask you to try and find a solution to this ongoing problem.
- Try to figure out and describe a plan for the future of policing in the United States.
- Will you group choose to defund the police? What does that look like/mean?
- Will you implement bias-training programs for all officers?
- Will you create an outreach program to reach out to minorities to diversify the police force?
- Will you increase repercussions for officers who disproportionately target minorities? How will you assess wrong v. right in situations involving potential misconduct?
- Think through the possible objections about your plan that someone could have and how you would answer them.
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your plan effectively outlines how to address the issue of our policing system in the nation.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- You do not have to come up with an exhaustive list of procedures for your plan. It’s better to come up with a few requirements that you feel confident with and spend time thinking through possible objections to it.
- You don’t have to worry about answering all possible objections, but you should have some defense of why you think your reasons are more important.
- Your requirements should be things that governments could realistically implement.