Task Force: City Council Voting on Amazon
Amazon wants to build its headquarters in your city and you have been selected by the city council to come up with various rules and regulations for them to be allowed to do so.
Why Are We Doing This?
Amazon is a multinational technology company that focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence. It currently has around 2.5 millions sellers and over one million users join the platform every year! Here, we ask you to imagine that Amazon wants to build its headquarters in your city and that you are responsible for creating rules and regulations as well as privileges and benefits for them to do so efficiently.
- Before you begin, find some articles on Amazon and what happens when it builds headquarters in an area. Research information about the impact Amazon had on Seattle (where their HQ is located).
- Then, try to come up with a plan for Amazon to build its headquarters in your town.
- What are some initial concerns that arise? How will you approach those challenges?
- What happened in Seattle when Amazon built its headquarters there?
- What rules and regulations will Amazon have to follow?
- What kinds of privileges or benefits will they be offered?
- How will you address the concerns of the people residing in your town?
- Think through the possible objections about your plan that someone might have.
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your plan ensures that Amazon can build its headquarters in your town without disrupting the normalcy of its residents drastically.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- You do not have to come up with an exhaustive list of guidelines for your plan. Focus on a few you are prepared to defend.
- Try to brainstorm specific issues associated with Amazon creating its headquarters in a town.