Task Force: Choose an Energy Solution For Your Country
The Department of Energy has decided to put you in charge of creating a plan for the best renewable energy source for a specific country. Each group will be assigned to a country and you will then have to come up with a plan to implement the best renewable energy source.
Why Are We Doing This?:
This article from the Climate Council discusses countries leading the charge on switching to renewable energy sources. Here we want you to assume that you agree with the claim that all countries should switch to renewable sources. You now need to think about a plan to implement a preferred source of renewable energy throughout your country. Instructors will assign a country to you, and you will be responsible for researching that country’s involvement (or lack thereof) in switching to renewable energy sources.
- Do some brief research to understand your country’s specific stance on renewable energy sources.
- Have you been assigned to a country that has taken steps towards switching to renewable sources of energy? Or have you been tasked with a country that misuses non-renewable energy sources?
- Come up with three renewable sources of energy from highest priority to lowest and then try to brainstorm reasons for why you chose that order for your country.
- Is your country already taking steps towards a certain renewable energy source? Would it make sense to prioritize that source of energy or is the country not taken the appropriate steps to transitioning to it?
- Is your country so far behind in the endeavor that it doesn’t matter which renewable energy source they choose as long as they choose any?
- Think about the possible objections that someone could have and how you would answer them. Have you chosen a renewable energy source for your country that may not be equipped with the resources to handle? Which forms of renewable energy are cheaper? Which are more expensive?
- Think about whether these sources of renewable energy are currently being used in a different country and how it turned out for them.
- Share with the group and see if you can convince them that your country should include these sources of renewable energy.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- You do not have to come up with an exhaustive list of sources of renewable energy. It’s better to come up with a couple that you feel most confident defending.
- Consider what advancements your country has already made. Do you agree or disagree with your country’s current endeavors in the transition to renewable energy? Why?
- You don’t have to worry about answering all possible objections, but you should have some defense of why you think your reasons are more important.
Potential countries to assign each group:
- Equatorial Guinea
- United Arab Emirates
- United States